Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Seven, eight, lay them straight.

Started hanging the iron this week. Reminds me of the first time I ever tried hanging a towel rack on an uneven plaster wall without the use of a level or tape measure.

Shadow Puppetry
I like this hallucinatory landscape image along the 8th Avenue side of The Pit that arrives each afternoon just as the sun is about to set. Do you remember when you stopped seeing shadows? The stage is set for some Indonesian morality themed shadow-play, except in this instance, living people will perform instead of paper cut-outs. It's not a good idea to place a ladder on such a severe incline.














"en plein air"
Visually pleasing, the "mud and rust browns", they are. Maybe it's the pixillation, but my photos have been coming out impressionistically fuzzy, as if I was executing some quick preliminary studies done on site and then brought back to my studio at the end of each day.
I usually don't like Impressionist paintings but, there is a Impressionist landscape show at the Brooklyn Museum that includes a very tasty little John Singer Sargent painting depicting a forest stream that totally surprised me. Sargent was a great society portrait painter. He sure could paint the way shallow water feels- speeding up when it passes over, around and between rounded stones, becoming more opaque, and then translucent as it becomes still again... You know, junk like that.























Turning the corner.





































Eastern wall parallel to 8th Ave. The old lot line that separated 406 from 408 15th.

























Detail of welded steel I-beam support struts along shared rear lot line. Fabricated spacers fill the gaps as the piles are not exactly in line.


No comments: